Friday, January 9, 2009

Get into Vincent Van Gogh's head; read his letters

I was amazed and pleased to find Van Gogh's letters here.

Vincent Van Gogh is one of my favorite painters. Starry Night is my favorite painting.
The letters at the link above are categorized by topics such as "technique," and "women," and "paranoia,"

From the "alcohol" category, he says in part of a letter written in June 1888: " After that, the only thing to bring ease and distraction, in my case and other people's too, is to stun oneself with a lot of drinking or heavy smoking."

Ironically, from a letter in 1881, he writes: "Whenever I tell Father anything, it goes in one ear and out ..."

The letters are fascinating for anyone who would like to get into the famous artist's head.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home